Could a world without Reading be our future?


As you watch the flex and flow of technology do you wonder how long each item will last? 10 years ago cell phones were a commodity today a necessity. Home PC were a luxury, today a demand. But even with the changes it makes me wonder - are we getting smarter or more lazy? Is communication really at an all time high or are our communication skills in a face to face setting - person to person - diminishing? The studies have shown that depression and the like are truly on the rise. Then the other day, I received a bombshell email....Disney is now offering books that will read the story to you if you would rather not read them yourself. So I asked my husband, "Will kids in the future even need to read? Or will pictures and voices direct them?"

To put me back on the reading road again I purchased a new book by one of my favorite authors. Shopping for books is, in my opinion, the best shopping trip around. It was great to browse the authors and the titles and hold various ones, exploring the cover to see if it would "call to me." Still, I know that Sigmund always writes in such a manner that I can't put the book down. Broken Angel is finally out in softcover and so the choice on what to purchase was simple. As is true to my nature of reading I avoid the back cover like a plague and started right in on page one. I closed the final page last night excited that his new book is due out in January of 2010. Perfect timing, since I would like to know the concluding events for each character. Let me just say this - if you have any question about what the world would be like without reading - I challenge you to explore Sigmund's new book. But! Understand one point about this author - he does not write for the weak or meek at heart. His books are graffic, at times bloody, but always they hit the mark and make you think about "what is to come."

Enjoy!

Comments

Vanessa said…
It is strange how we have all these "gadgets" to keep us "connected" yet rarely are face to face with people!
Brigitte said…
Strange and so very sad - I like seeing faces better :)
Sarah Schenkel said…
This reminds me of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I'm sure I would really enjoy this book.

Popular posts from this blog

At the top of my "to read later" pile...

Another Book Give Away - Let's explore!